Friday, March 11, 2011

Where's your jet-pack, Zuckerberg?

I couldn't resist. Yesterday, after finishing Whitney's denim skirt, I made an Identical one for myself. It took me about 3 hours (only because I had JUST finished one and knew exactly what I needed to do = no trial and error). I love it love it love it. It is perfect summer and it is just a PERFECT SKIRT!






Here is a great tip when sewing bulky fabrics, like denim or wool: When sewing a perpendicular seam on top of two already existing seams, like at the side seam hem or waistband hem, clip into the seam allowances before you sew at the 5/8" mark, so that when you press the seams out, you wont have huge bulging seams that are impossible to iron and make flat. I learned this trick in my tailoring class for jacket hems, but I think it can be used in all sorts of sewing situations. And, of course, always trim and grade seam allowances that sit on top of each other. It may take a little time, but it is well worth it!


PS: my zipper for this skirt went off without a hitch. My technique is truly flawless (the invisible zipper foot also helps)!

PSS: Here is a sneak-peak to my family photos. Bridgette's are my favorite. 

1 comment:

  1. You look SMOKIN'. Plus, I love love LOVE the family photos

    ReplyDelete