Wednesday, November 3, 2010

An apple for my teacher

My class last night at Bernina-Nuttall in Salt Lake was GREEEAATT (besides the total Debbie-Downer sitting next to me). I learned a TON. Here are a few of the lessons I took home:


This first lesson on knits was probably most valuable. The serged seam on the bottom is all ripply, while the seam at the top is not. That is because I lowered my differential feed on the serger! Knits need a low DF to not ripple!!! EXCELLENT.


This next lesson is harder to see, but it is about Differential Feed once again. On lighter fabrics like chiffon or linen, the DF also needs to be lowered so there is less bunching in the actual seam. Very good to know. 


This is awesome. You can make fabrics gather just be adjusting the stitch length, DF, and tension on the needles. The more gathering you want, means larger tension on needles, higher stitch length, and a large DF. This is extremely useful, because I usually make gathers with three rows of basting on my sewing machine. This way is ten times easier and faster. 


These samples are based on cutting width and stitch length. Cutting width can be adjusted on sergers based on fabric needs. The norm is to be set at 3 for berninas. Stitch length needs to be adjusted for bulkier fabrics like denim. 

  
For bernina 1300s, there is a setting that fine-tunes the cutting to make it minutely smaller or larger. A norm setting of 3 on a bernina may not result of a perfect stitch, where the serged seam is directly hugging the material, so the blades need to be either let out or taken in. For the most part, a cutter set on 3 with a normal "MTC" (micro thread control) will give a perfect serge. 
I'm really excited for my class next week! 

YET
I still don't know how to coverstitch. this is NOT GOOD. I called up the store this morning and begged them to teach me how to coverstitch tonight, since the next coverstitch class isn't until March. I really didn't need to bed. "People come in all the time to learn to do a basic thread. Sure, come in." well, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment