Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Frustrated. Frustrated.


I started my next dress yesterday, I wanted to make the pattern myself, and I was very happy about my ambitious attitude that day. I haven't made a pattern for a few weeks now, so I was ready to dive back in. I have this great orange and beige stretch material that has a great nubby texture to it. I was thinking of a color blocked a-line dress with orange inserts on the sides of the dress, with the beige in the center. I wanted some gathering on the skirt, but not a ton. Not so hard, right?.... right? 

I made the pattern without a hitch. I made the orange inserts as exaggerated as possible for the skirt because the last time I tried it, the circles were barely noticeable. The shape of the inserts came out pretty well. 

Since the fabric I'm using is so stretchy, I didn't want to line it with something that wasn't so stretchy (stretch lining is hard to come by). I also didn't want to serge the material because it is so thick that serging wouldn't really work. So I tried something else to finish the edges-- and I know there is an official name for it, but I couldn't remember.


I turned the seam allowances under, toward the seam, on the wrong side of the garment, and then top-stitched it from the right side. I thought it looked super professional from the inside. I love it when clothes look just as good inside as outside. This seam allowance finish works really well for thicker fabrics. Very clean.



Then the rain came.

I did all that work on the seam allowances for every seam. Sewing all the beige first, then the orange, so I wouldn't be switching back and forth. Then I had the entire thing put together, and the fit SUCKS. MAJORLY. I really think my slopers need some work. Everything I make doesn't fit right. The waist on the slopers has to be to big, and the bodice is also too long in the front. I hate the a-line skirt. 

Some times I wonder why I even try. WHY? 


It is a shame, because I love the whole idea of this dress. But I refuse to give up right now. I'm going to re-make the skirt to be more full to match what I had in my head. This better work. 


And my magnetic pin cushion fell to its death. 

2 comments:

  1. Well..I think the vision for the dress is brilliant! Stick with it Ellie! This is just what you need to be experiencing. Genius!!

    HOWEVER!! I did not raise beautiful Ellie to say "suck!" And "my magnetic pin cushion fell to ITS death." I'm just sayin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did i know that comment would follow...

    ellen those colors are amazing.
    can you please make me a dress?

    ReplyDelete