Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Evening Gown, Part 3: The silk. Oh, the silk.

Finishing up finals this week. Must. blog. faster!!!

After the muslin was done, I used the canvas bodice, withe the boning and everything, as the under-structure of my real gown. I threw away the muslin skirt after I had transferred all my alterations to my flat pattern. I took apart the canvas bodice, and began cutting out the silk for the bodice which would lay over the under-structure. I had basted all the soft, slippery silk pieces to the canvas-- even the best seamstress probably couldn't use a sewing machine to do this. By hand is the best and most accurate way to add layers to bodices. 

cutting out the silk


Hand basting, one piece at a time.

 I love hand sewing. I love that I can just sit on the couch and watch a movie while I do it. 


After everything was hand basted, I sewed up the bodice again, treating the silk and the canvas as one. Doing a good hand basting job means that sewing everything back together is a sinch. 


I bought the silk from Yellow Bird. It was quite pricey, but my evening gown teacher said it was one of the best silk charmeuse fabrics he had ever seen. I guess I could have used something a little cheaper, since black silk chiffon covers it all up. But, the important thing is that I know it's there, and I know how much work I put into the dress, how much money, and time. And when I wear it, that gold silk charmeuse is going to be worth everything. 

This is what high quality fabric does to a person.  

Part 2: The Muslin
Part 1: The Inspiration

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to send your correct measurements to the makers because they are so detailed. My dress fits so well and I was reluctant to take it off after the fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for something elegant and classy at a good price. This dress is exactly that. I was super excited to try it on when I did it was stunning, the fit was perfect.

    ReplyDelete