Thursday, May 3, 2012

An Evening Gown, Part 4: The draping

Today was my last day of school for the semester. I'm kinda sad. I love school. I love being graded and being the best in my class... that is a sincere attitude of mine, and I'm not ashamed of it. I honestly thrive on getting straight A's. Is that weird?

The bodice draping on my evening gown was a labor of love. I had to drape it twice to get what I wanted, but once I got the hang of it, it was a sea breeze. 

The first time I draped it on my own, outside of class, the draping was just too heavy and controlled. It looked like it was homemade and amateurish.I got to class that week and I was ready to give up on this dress and move on to a different project. I had looked through my Pinterest Inspire board trying to feel better about my gown design, and realized I had NO draped dresses AT ALL. I was shocked. It was like I had subconsciously ignored draped dresses, and for some reason I had thought to do it all of a sudden. 

Of course, I was being a drama queen. Eugene, my teacher for evening wear, talked me off the ledge of giving up and encouraged me to just re-drape with his help, and re-commit to the dress that he knew would be great. So I took another shot. Eugene said that my draping was "too perfect", and I needed to make it a bit more messy and less controlled. The second time around was ten times easier than trying to make perfect drapes like I had, and it took half the time.

I draped one side of the bodice at a time, using two different mannequins so that my draping would still be continuous.





Once everything was pinned, I pinned each fold like crazy so I could take the bodice pieces off the mannequin to hand baste the chiffon draping to the bodice. It was actually a really fun process. Once everything was basted, I sewed the bodice back together, and it looks like this:



Just messy enough to looks elegant, as I like to think. I'm glad I had a teacher who believed in me. 

part 1: the inspiration
part 2: the muslin
part 3: the silk

4 comments:

  1. My "drapey" draping is always too controlled. Cecile from Dior (did you ever do her workshops?) would always get mad at me and tell me to "let it breathe! let it breathe!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous. I can't wait to see you in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing article! I need individuals to know exactly how great this data is in your article. It's fascinating, convincing substance. Your perspectives are much like my own particular concerning this subject.for information regarding designer dresses on rent please visit to the link.
    Your Wedding Gown - Buy or Rent?

    ReplyDelete